Stamford Dog Park Coming Soon...

I’m semi-excited about the dog park. Parks and Rec approved it and chose a site off exit 9, just at the corner of Courtland Ave and East Main. The Board of Reps needs to approve the building of the site, which will cost $40,000 to build. Friends of Stamford Dog Park is trying to raise money so the city only has to maintain the park. I don’t see any problems with the park, as the kind of people who bring their dogs to a dog park are the kinds of people who police themselves.

I haven’t been to the location, but I like the fact that you can get there by back roads if 95 is trafficky. I think the park will be a good way to meet people, and Lord knows Stamford needs that. Not everyone likes the Hunt complex site; read the Times or Advocate articles for more details.

I don’t think my dog will benefit from the dog park, as she doesn’t know how to play. She’s a coonhound, a rescue from West Virginia, and she has the personality of an 80 year-old woman. On weekends, she and I each take a couch and nap the day away.

Two related stories:

- Currently, many Stamford dog owners take their dogs to the dog park at Waveny in New Canaan, or let them off the leash at Mianus River Park on the border of Greenwich and Stamford. Expect mayhem at Mianus. I took a walk with a friend there last fall, and a little Bichon Frise sprinted past, then, unbeknowst to me, raced back toward me, leapt up feet first, and planted a muddy pawprint on each of my butt cheeks.

- My friend’s French bulldog, a brindle named Gilly, lives in NYC. He’s chill, so when he goes to the park, he sits on the bench with the dog owners. Gilly recently started breaking out in eczema-type patches, so the vet tested him for allergies. Gilly is allergic to pollen and- get this- humans. The dog is allergic to humans. This is a picture of Gilly and his sister Laverne fighting over a flower stem. Those colorful scraps are fabric swatches.

I think the dog park will give us some laughs.