Thule Rack Envy/What IS a Thule Rack?

*I wrote this before I had the baby, but I still don't really know what a Thule rack/pod is.

I don't actually know what Thule racks are for- I had assumed until this year that they were for skis. Now, I see Thule cargo pods on top of people's cars- are those for skis, too? Or just for carrying extra stuff? I figured they were for skis, because I never saw them until I moved up here to the northeast.

I ask because I found myself, oddly, wishing I had a Thule pod on Thursday morning. I came to a stop sign, and there was a lady about my age driving an SUV. I waved her on, and she didn't wave back "Thank you." I felt a little left out and inferior. She had a Thule pod on top of her car, and a little black dog hanging out the window. I felt a little competitive surge. The dog looked kind of yappy and annoying, but I thought to myself, "Maybe if I had a Thule rack, that lady would have seen me as an equal." A split second later, I realized how ridiculous that thought was, and I started planning this blog post in my head.
The fact that I found myself wanting a Thule rack, but not knowing what it was, amused me but also sort of horrified me. I don't want to get yuppie accessory envy, but I think I might be starting to get it, and I blame this baby. He is the reason we got a new car (used SUV). He, along with my husband, caused me to covet the $900 Bugaboo stroller. We went so far as to pick out colors before reason took over and we realized that we do not even know how much we're going to use a stroller.

Update: we definitely did not get the Bugaboo, although if I had to go back in time, I might get the $670 Uppababy Vista stroller. It's got a bassinet like the Bugaboo, but it folds in one piece with the toddler seat in, AND you can add a 2nd seat if you have another kid.