Mrs. Green's, and Reusable Bags in the FC

Speakin' o' produce... Mrs. Green's, the health food store on High Ridge, has bright yellow reusable bags that cost .99 this month. Although now as I'm poking around the 'net, that's how much Whole Foods' big beautiful bags cost, too. Maybe Mrs. Green's needs to charge more because they are a small chain with only 10 stores in the CT/NY area. Today I got some tasty spinach-artichoke dip, curried chicken salad, and delicious local lettuce. I'm excited for my Mrs. G's bag. It's bigger and prettier than my pine green Stop and Shop ones, but I'm still fond of those.

Is it weird that I feel awkward when I use my Whole Foods bag at less fancy grocery stores? I can't tell if I feel like a poser, or like I'm showing off, or like people think I'm slumming because I can't always afford to shop at WF. Does anyone else identify with this feeling at all?

On a related topic, Westport is considering banning plastic bags at grocery stores. I think that's a bit rash, because even the EPA agrees that paper bags cause more environmental pollution than plastic. I've read a couple of articles about how plastic bags are getting a worse rap than they deserve. Even if plastic bags aren't as villainous as they are portrayed, the EPA still recommends that we all try to use reusable bags.

On a less related topic, I posted pretty pics on flickr of the farmers' market I went to in Mississippi.