Ahoooooooooooooo: Coyotes in Stamford

“That’s a pretty dog!” I shouted across the road to a woman in a reflective safety vest. On our residential street, you’re taking your life into your hands trying to walk your dog, and I am SO not joking. I was taking my Toter can out to the curb. We made small talk about our dogs, then she told me she’d seen a coyote on the next road over. We’re in a ‘hood off High Ridge. So folks, coyotes are on the prowl.

Today’s News 12 Website has an article about coyotes. It doesn’t tell you much more than I can. It mentions to watch your small pets, but anyone who heard about Kathie Lee Gifford’s bichon frise knew that. Her little dog was killed in her Greenwich backyard in 2003.

Around the time of the KLG incident, I was driving on Shore Rd. in Greenwich on my way home to my Southfield ‘hood. I saw a large yellow dog trotting down the sidewalk. How cute! I thought. A dog using the sidewalk! I passed him, then tilted my head in puzzlement— was that a coyote? Yup. Trotting as if he were out for a jog, totally civilized, on the sidewalk. That’s one cool coyote.

The News 12 article DOES have one tip I forgot about: Keep your eye on your "younger" children.